Thursday, February 16, 2012

Microsoft Word Project

    I worked on my Microsoft word project this afternoon. While it was challenging for a ditigal immigrant living in a world where most of my peers are digital natives, I was pleasently suprised at how it went. It was time consuming but very enlightening and I learned quite a bit from a one class blitz on Microsoft Word. The instructions on what the project needed were very clear which helped focus my efforts and avoided confusion.

   With the Finale Project Midterm coming up I am a bit aprehensive about completing it as smoothly as the Microsoft project. I generally don't find Finale nearly as easy to navigate as Word, but Terry's expereince with the quick help on the forums encourages me that I will be able to do well on it. The only real issue I have right now is a printer problem at home and most machines at UB don't have finale to open it. Off to fix my own printer!

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm in that boat with you on being a Digital Immigrant, so don't feel alone! Glad to hear the Word project went well. Did you do it on a Mac? I tried it on a Dell and it kicked my butt. Good luck with the printer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the demonstration be on Mac when the vast majority of the world is a PC one caused a lot of problems for me as well. During class I was simply trying to find the features in Windows based word because I couldn't possibly keep up since they aren't the same.

      It took me a while but went relatively smooth with this tip: I simply googled the feature I couldn't find or didn't work the same as in class and usually an Office forum post or an about.com link came up that explained it perfectly. Hopefully that may help you.

      Delete
    2. I was away all weekend, and have yet to do the project, but I hope it goes as smoothly as yours went. I myself am having a couple of problems now, and being a digital native (or at least I think I am?) doesn't seem to be helping!

      Andy makes a good point, I can just google the questions I have. I will try that!

      Delete
  2. Agreed the project was time consuming. I feel if I had to do it again it would go by a lot faster, but I think that was the whole point of the assignment. And good luck with your printer.

    ReplyDelete