Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 4

     As the video I posted before with the giraffe suggested, the technology game is always a struggle. However, I am happy to report that this week I actually had a mini breakthrough and I am excited about it. The ability to import tiff files into finale has huge implications for vocalists. Personally, I always found it frustrating to try and learn a vocal piece without an accompanist. More chromatic pieces were especially tough. The two semesters I took voice lessons in undergrad I would have the voice coach play the accompaniment while I recorded it so I would have something to go off of. This may be simply because of my own musical weakness but I find it very helpful to have to musical context of the accompaniment.

     The only problem is that it is hard to find stuff in .tiff format, but there are plenty of very simply file converting programs out there that can change PDFs into tiffs. The ability to scan into finale to create tiff's off of paper copies also helps.

     When I mentioned this idea to Terry he suggested then importing it into smart music so you can check yourself and actually set up the accompaniment to follow you.

     I am doing a Broadway Revue Concert with a Valentines Day theme on the 17th and it has been a bit annoying to learn the music. I am going to try the techniques with the .tiff files to help myself out. I love finding real world applications of what we learn in class!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! If a student is performing a solo piece that isn't on smart music, then the accompaniment could be uploaded to smart music so the student could practice with the accompaniment at home!

    ReplyDelete